Do you ever get stuck in a rut and run out of ideas for things to do with your little ones? I did a little research this weekend and found a few free and fun things to do with toddlers and little kids. Let me know if there are any other things I should add to the list.
I took my almost-four-year-old son for the first time this past weekend and he had a blast. We made a rain gauge using precut wood in the craft kit and he practiced hammering and screwing.
- This free workshop is offered the first Saturday of each month at 9 am.
- I would recommend registering on-line. The next project is the Build a Bunny Basket for Easter.
- This is best for kids 5 and up but my three year old did great. There were younger kids there and they can do simple things like adding glue or placing stickers.
- Each child will receive a craft kit, the famous orange Home Depot workshop apron, a certificate of completion, and a pin. I saw an older boy with a workshop apron that was covered with commemorative pins from previous projects. It was pretty cute.
2. Library story time
Most libraries have free story time for kids of all ages, from babies to grade school kids. You can go to your local library’s website and search for story/reading time. Besides having an activity to do on a weekly basis, toddlers learn social and preschool skills like sitting for circle time, singing, and answering questions about the characters in the story.
3. Free days at museums and gardens
Did you know many museums and gardens (including the famous Huntington Library) have free admission days every month? If you bank at Bank of America, you can get free admission to a large number of museums the first weekend of each month just by showing your BOA credit or debit card and ID. If you happen to live in California, here’s a list of museums with free admission.
If you live near the Bay Area of San Francisco, I would highly recommend the Bay Area Discovery Museum. It is perfect for little kids and you can’t beat the view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Admissions is free the first Wednesday of every month.
Are there any fun and free activities that you take your babies, toddlers, and/or little kids to? Please call to confirm before going in case there are any changes.
Thanks for reading and feel free to share this with anyone you know with young kids. Please click the “follow” button to receive email notification of future blog posts or follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Happy chic mom, a blog for moms
Photos Credit: Bay Area Discovery Museum, Home Depot, Huntington Library